Saturday, December 28, 2013

Notes from the Underground, III : La Fin

Chicago Airport, December 21st

A girl to her mother: "You don't even listen to what I say."
The sound of ESPN announcers. A hoot and holler when we landed.
The feeling of American ease, of the relaxed disinterest in judgement. Baseball caps and yoga pants and chicken wings and coffee in to-go cups and open, boisterous laughter, anger, annoyance. Nothing held back.
We are ourselves. And that's what makes us so damn lovely to come home to.
I don't know how I did it. It's been so long.

Maybe the chapter of this book is over. Page flipped, get back to a strange familiarity outside of Parisian streets and galleries and metros and planes.

I am not the same.

It was everything. A beginning and an ending and an everything. Love and tears and laughs and thoughts, musings, worries, ecstasies, wonder.

The lights of the tarmac are my stars.

I'm going home.


No comments:

Post a Comment